It can create bootable USB for both BIOS and UEFI systems also it can create bootable USB of several operating systems such as Windows, Ubuntu, Linux, etc. Creating bootable USB using Rufus is a natural process because it is a portable application so that we don’t have to install it on our computer. Jan 03, 2020 Here are the steps to create a macOS bootable USB media (Catalina) with GPT partition support on Windows 10 or 7/8.1 to rescue your Mac. How to quickly create a macOS bootable USB on Windows 10. Click the browse button on the right, locate the.dmg file with the macOS installation files. Click the Open button.
- Create Bootable Usb Dmg On Windows 7
- Create Bootable Usb Dmg On Windows 6
- Create Bootable Usb Dmg On Windows
Windows and Mac, they both are designed with different companies with a different file system. Because of their File system, it seems to us that we can’t create bootable USB for macOS Mojave on Windows. And the same goes for mac, where we are thinking we can’t create bootable USB for Windows 10 in mac. However, if you have used the Mac operating system, then you know that you can create bootable USB for Windows in mac with terminal and some other applications. But if you have used windows you will find out that you are not even able to create bootable USB for macOS Mojave using CMD or PowerShell. However, if we compare the Terminal and PowerShell, Terminal is built upon the Linux Codes and Infrastructure. but PowerShell is built by mixing all Unix, CMD, Scripts and other kinds of stuff. Jeffery Snover the founder of PowerShell said that anyone can work on PowerShell based on their platform. it means that if you are a Linux user you can use PowerShell, just like you are using the Linux terminal. This way PowerShell seems to be Powerful but yet no one has achieved to create bootable USB for macOS Mojave on Windows. I bet that for programmers it is not a hard thing but they are not interested in that. It is we, the basic users who wish to use a different operating system.
So, enough of talk and let’s dive into creating bootable USB for macOS Mojave on Windows with TransMac, I hope it will be helpful for you.
- macOS Mojave Dmg File: In order to create bootable USB for macOS Mojave in windows 10, the first thing which is required is the macOS Mojave dmg File. If you have used a mac operating system, then you know that you can’t download macOS Mojave except for app store. I don’t know how, but programmers have decoded that from mac and uploaded the dmg file for windows users. Now windows user can download the macOS Mojave dmg file and they can use it to create bootable USB. And keep one more thing in your mind, if you visit any site download macOS Mojave iSO, then the flash won’t be bootable correctly. Because of those how are providing you the macOS Mojave ISO file, they have simply converted the macOS Mojave dmg file using PowerISO. Converting macOS Mojave dmg file to any other extensions requires a specific set of skills in the coding of an operating system. So, it is so rare that anyone put that much effort. However, I can’t predict if someone changes the macOS Mojave dmg to iSO in the future.
- 16 GB USB Flash: The macOS Mojave dmg file size is actually is 6.7 GB and at least it requires 8 GB of storage to extract the files. But since many users are facing errors, I would you recommend you to use a 16 GB USB Flash. And please make sure that the USB must be 3.0 because with USB 3.0 it takes 50 minutes to create bootable USB and I wonder How much time it would take for USB 2.0 to Create bootable USB.
- Transmac: TransMac is a software which is specifically built for windows users to mount, format, edit and create bootable for macOS. However there is also alternative software to TransMac but they are working best for Hackintosh file system (HFS), but since macOS high Sierra and macOS Mojave have Apple File system (APS), they can’t support it. Another thing which you must know about the TransMac, that TransMac is not free forever, it only provides you 15 days of trial. But After that, you have to purchase it.
Before creating bootable USB for macOS Mojave in windows 10 using TransMac, you have to download and Install TransMac. Installing TransMac is so simple and it does not require too much attention but in case if you don’t know How to Install. Follow the below procedures:
- Double click on the setup to launch the installation wizard.
- Click next, next, next, and next.
- Now click on the Install to copy the TransMac Files to your root drive.
- When the Installation is done, click Finish.
Step 1. Now Attach the USB Flash Drive to the Computer.
Step 2. Run TransMac as Administrator, if it is not given the full privileges it can’t create bootable USB for macOS Mojave.
Step 3. Right click on the USB and select format disk for mac.
Step 4. Once the disk is formatted for Mac, again right click and select Restore with Disk Image.
Step 5. Now the TransMac will warn that all files will be overwritten, so you have to click on the Yes and move to the next step.
Step 6. Now locate the macOS Mojave dmg file by clicking on the three dots.
Step 7. Once again it will warn you, that all the files will be overwritten, so you have to click yes.
Step 8. Have patients until the process of copying files should be complete, once it is done. Attach it to a computer and start installing macOS Mojave on PC.
Please keep in mind that the TransMac is only campable of creating a UEFI partition not legacy. If you are looing to create a legacy bootable USB Flash Drive you have to try using the Unibeast on Virtual Machine to create bootable USB.
That’s all with How to Create Bootable USB for macOS Mojave on Windows with TransMac? Well, if you have any question, suggestions, feedbacks please let us know.
To create a bootable USB drive from a DMG file on Windows, you will need to have the right utility. That's because DMG is not native on Windows. It is the Mac equivalent of an ISO file that has been in use since Apple transitioned from the IMG format with Mac OS X. A DMG file, like ISO, can be used to install macOS operating system or Mac apps. If the Mac computer was broken or crashed and couln't get into the system, but you only have access to a Windows PC, there's still a way to make a bootable macOS install USB on Windows.
This article looks at three applications that you can use to create a bootable USB drive from a DMG file in Windows. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages, which we have highlighted. You can make the best choice for you based on the information provided below. They are in no particular order of preference.
TransMac - Make DMG File Bootable USB on Windows
This is a fairly robust application for creating bootable USB on Windows from a DMG file. However, there's a preparatory step to be executed before you can create the bootable USB drive. The typical disk partition used is MBR, but you will need to do a partition with GPT for this to work. You can do so by executing the diskpart command in Windows CMD. Alternatively, you can do it from within TransMac, as shown in the instructions shown below the next paragraph.
Once this is done, you can download TransMac and use the two-week free trial period to get the job done free of cost. You can always upgrade if you like the utility and want to keep using it after the trial period has ended. Once you download and install the application, insert your formatted USB drive and follow the instructions below:
Step 1: If you haven't formatted the USB, right-click on your USB drive in the left panel and select Format Disk for Mac from the contextual menu.
Step 2: Right-click again on the drive in the left panel and this time select Restore with Disk Image.
Step 3 : Select the DMG file and click on Open. Once the process is complete, you can eject the drive and use it on a Mac. To boot from this media, hold down the Option key and fire up your Mac.
Convert DMG to ISO and Create macOS Boot USB from Windows
Since ISO is a better format for Windows, you can also convert the DMG to the ISO format and then use the ISO disk image to create the bootable USB. Please note that you can't boot your Mac from bootable USB made from an ISO file, which means you'll have to convert it back to DMG prior to that. Still, it's an effective way to create bootable media for a Mac computer. Here's how it works:
Step 1: Once you have the macOS install DMG file on a Windows PC, click on Windows + R to open the run dialog box, and type in CMD, then hit Enter. When the Command Prompt opens up, use the following command to convert the file to ISO:
hdiutil convert /path/sourceimagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/targetmage.iso
Step 2: Download and install UUByte ISO Editor on your PC, insert the USB drive and launch the application.
Step 3: Click Burn button on the main screen and point to the converted ISO file. The drive will be automatically detected and click on Burn icon to burn the ISO to the USB drive.
Once the ISO is burned to the file, you can insert it into a Mac and convert it back into the DMG format. Since you're converting the file twice, there's a chance that the file could get corrupted in the process. If that happens repeatedly, then try this next method.
PowerISO: Make Bootable Mac Install USB on Windows 10/8/7
This Windows utility allows you do create bootable USB from DMG on a PC. You can also edit the DMG or extract the contents, and there's also an option to copy it to a disk. For this particular exercise, we'll show you how to use PowerISO to create a bootable USB drive on Windows without having to convert the disk image into another format like ISO.
Step 1: Download and install the application on your PC.
Step 2: Insert your USB drive and launch PowerISO.
Create Bootable Usb Dmg On Windows 7
Step 3: In the Tools menu, select 'Create Bootable USB Drive… '. You will need to give admin privileges to the software. Alternatively, you can run the program as admin when you launch it.
Create Bootable Usb Dmg On Windows 6
Step 4: Select the USB drive in the section called Destination USB Drive.
Step 5: Leave all other default as they are and click on 'Start' to burn DMG to the USB drive.
You should be able to see the progress, and a new popup will appear when the bootable media is ready. You can now eject the media and use it to run the DMG on a Mac computer.
Create Bootable Usb Dmg On Windows
All of these methods are workable, so select the right one for you based on your level of knowledge and your preference.